Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Tyvek®. What It It and What Do You Do With It?

Hey there crafty friends! I hope you had a wonderful 4th of July! I am actually in Florida visiting my awesome art friend Kristie this week. I have missed her so much and we finally just get to hang out and make art :) Something I have been working with recently is Tyvek®. What is Tyvek® you ask? It is a product by Dupont™ and according to Wikipedia, Tyvek® is flashspun high-density polyethylene fibers, a synthetic material. I have been using Tyvek envelopes from the post office and painting them with acrylic paints. Today, I used Art Anthology paints to create some pretty amazing beads and even a cool looking rose. Check these out.....

Gold on the outside and then used strips of a plastic candy
wrapper to create the green/gold band around the center.


Pink with Gold. Love how the Art Anthology paint cracks
on the Tyvek when heated.


This rose was an experiment. I like how it turned out.



I have been experimenting with different types of paint and really like the appearance of the cracks in the Art Anthology paints. It looks somewhat antique to me. You know, like chippy paint. I usually paint one side of the Tyvek with a metallic paint and the other side with at least one other color. Both sets of beads and the rose were made from the same sheet with Gold metallic on one side and half pink, half orange on the other side. For the beads, I cut it in strips, wrapped them around a dowel and heat with a heat gun until I liked the consistency. For the rose, I started with a loose bead and began wrapping layers of petal shapes around the bead, heating each layer until I got the size and look I wanted. So. Much. Fun!!!

So now that you know what Tyvek is and sort of have a sense of what you can do with it, go give it a try!!! I would love to see what you create!!

That's all from me tonight. I'll be back soon with more artsy stuff! Until next time...

Hugs and Happy Craftin'!!

No comments: