Friday, December 25, 2015

Hope for Christmas

Merry Christmas!! Well, the day is almost over, but I wanted to pop in and share one last Christmas ornament that I made this year. I think this one is my favorite, for what it represents. Hope.


There is a sweet story behind this ornament. I took one of the ornaments that I made and put it on the Christmas tree at work. A lady I work with named Cathy asked me where I got it and I told her that I made it. She said homemade ornaments were her favorite. Then she told me that all of her Christmas decorations and her tree were destroyed in the flood we had back in October. That just about broke my heart! So, I gave her one of the other ones I made. She went on and on about how beautiful it was which makes me happy and humble at the same time. Sweet story, right? Well, that's not the end of it, and certainly not the sweetest part of it. Cathy told me that she witnessed an awful accident on interstate where a man rear ended a disabled vehicle and she stopped to help. The lady that was hit was an elderly lady named Queenie (awesome name isn't it?!) Cathy said that Queenie was not really injured but very shook up by the accident and she wanted to take her some gifts. She asked me if I could make a special ornament for Queenie that expressed hope. Isn't that the sweetest gesture? Cathy and her family lost their house in the flood and she also lost her father that same week, but she was concerned about a lady she did not know and wanted to lift that lady's spirits. I knew I had to make this ornament extra special.


I racked my brain trying to think of what I could make to represent hope and the only thing that came to mind was the bird that I've used before. I wanted to use colors that would not necessarily have to be Christmas colors as I feel hope should not just be searched for at Christmas time. Cathy loved it and couldn't wait to send it to Queenie. The other day at work, Cathy told me that Queenie received it and was going to hang it in her window so she could look at it every day. I get teary eyed thinking about it. I feel so blessed that I was able to be a part of this special gesture. 

If you've noticed, I've been using the Scrabble tiles in most of my Christmas ornaments. I really love them :) I've used them so much that I'm running out of vowels! 

Our family had a wonderful Christmas season, lots of food, fun and family time! It came so quickly this year and went by just as quickly. In a week we will be in a New Year, my how time flies! Seven days after that, I will be flying out to the left coast to attend my very first CHA convention. I am so excited and nervous at the same time. 

I hope you all have had a very Merry Christmas and I'll see you again soon!
Until next time...
Hugs and Happy Craftin'!





No comments: