Friday, October 23, 2015

There's No Place Like Home

If you know me, then you know that my favorite movie of all time is the Wizard of Oz. I was around 4 years old the first time I saw it and of course was really scared of that mean old Wicked Witch of the West. She is pretty terrifying!! I just love the story of how Dorothy dreamed of traveling to a different place, someone she thought would be better than Kansas, but once she was there, all she wanted was to go back home.


The Scrap n' Art designers received products from Linnie Blooms for the August issue and one of the items I got was a canvas fabric Mini File Album Kit. When the piece was sitting on my table, for some reason it looked like the outlined shape of a house and the file tab looked like a chimey. I could not get that image out of my mind, so that's exactly what I created with it!


To make it work, I had to cut it apart to fit the roof on and make it look like a more realistic house. I used Art Anthology Colorations sprays with some stencils on the canvas fabric pieces and really love how it turned out. The base of the piece is a canvas that I covered with Tim Holtz printed tissue paper and added more Art Anthology Colorations sprays. The little white picket fence pieces are decorations that I've had for years. I used some of these on my daughter's beach themed wedding cake and had left over pieces, so I held onto them waiting on the perfect project. The roof, door and windows are thick chipboard pieces that I hand cut the shape, gessoed, painted and decorated them with stamping and outlining with a white gel pen. I splashed and dripped some black paint here and there over the whole piece. Little blue flowers and a key tied to the door finish everything off.
I've been contemplating selling this in my Etsy shop, but I might just keep it myself :)

I'll be back soon to share more projects. Until then...
Hugs & Happy Craftin'!!

No comments: