Sunday, May 10, 2015

Mermaid Love

First let me say Happy Mother's Day to all you awesome moms out there!! It's a beautiful sunshiny day here in SC, not too hot, not too cold, just right!! Usually by this time of year it's hot and muggy, but we've actually experienced a nice Spring this year!!

Meet "Loralei", the newest resident of The Art House! Last weekend I went to a crop in Asheville, NC with my bestest friend Kristie, her mom Janet and daughter Megan. We had THE BEST time!! While there, we went shopping and ended up at Michael's, where I spied an awesome wooden mermaid cut out. Kristie loves mermaids, so I was super excited about this find. She on the other hand was not so excited about it. She thought it looked too "cartoony". My response? "HA! Are you kidding me??!!! Well, I'm getting her and I will make her FAAAABULLLOUUUUSSS!!" I only wish I had bought every one that they had in stock, because now I have people wanting them. lol Just my luck! Guess I need to find some here :) Soooooo, here she is:


First I applied a couple of coats of gesso, then painted her with Art Anthology paints. For her body from the waste to the tip of her fin, I glued down a whole bunch of little metal gears that I also found at Michael's in the jewelry section. There are about 50 gears all together, I just layered them until I was happy with the way they looked. Added more gesso over the gears and then several colors of Art Anthology Colorations sprays and Velvet paints. 


Her hair was the most difficult to figure out what to do. At first I tried some really cool yarn that I had in my stash. My thought was to add stiff stuff to the yarn and maybe braid some pieces. After attaching a whole head full of yarn hair, I hated it!! Urrgghhhhh. Ripped it all off. Now what?!! Then Kristie suggested hot glue. Awesome idea!!! She helped me get it started, because she's awesome like that! After the first layer was cool and set, I painted the hair with some of Kristie's new fluid inks/paints. I also made several "strands" of hair by first applying the hot glue to my craft mat, let cool, then added them over the other hair and added more of the fluid ink in a different color. This gave the hair a little more depth.  


Next, she needed some bling! I glued a bunch of gems and little seed beads and other jewelry findings to her body and tail. She also got a pretty beaded bracelet and a star fish with beaded spray in her hair. Isn't she awesome??!!!! And Kristie admitted that she was wrong and loves how she turned out! 



While at the crop, I made a card to enter into one of their contests. It didn't win, but there were some pretty awesome cards entered! I will share that tomorrow. Also, have you checked out this month's edition of Scrap 'n Art Online Magazine yet? Here is a sneak peek of my take on this month's Sketch Challenge :)


That's all from me on this awesome Mother's Day!! Until next time...
Hugs and Happy Craftin'!!

No comments: