Thursday, October 16, 2014

This Was a First For Me!!

One of the things I was really excited about doing on my cruise was to climb the rock wall. As soon as I saw it, I yelled out "I gotta do that!!" One of the girls in our group, Steph, said, "Me, too!!!" We made plans to climb on the last full day on the ship. We got up on the top, rear deck where the rock wall was located and got all geared up!! Then it hit me. I'm going to climb this huge wall...


Wow, that thing is tall!!! The gear consisted of harnesses, helmets and some odd looking shoes...

Steph and I modeling the oh so stylish shoes!!
Here we are all geared up and waiting our turn.


Ok, it's our turn and here we go!


Funny thing happened on the first step up. The ropes that we are attached to are also attached to a guy who is our spotter. Well, before I could lift myself up good on the first step, my spotter sort of lifted me before I was ready and gave me a killer wedgie! It was really uncomfortable and then I quickly realized this is not going to be easy. I have bad knees. And wrists. What the heck was I thinking?!!! Oh well, just gotta try hard and do my best. So, I'm climbing and climbing for like what seemed, well, a really long time, but I could tell I wasn't that far up. Not quite half way up here...


So at this point, the killer wedgie is really distracting me and I'm holding on to the little hand holds with my fingers. I look up and it seems like the next logical hand hold is higher than I can naturally reach. I'm trying really hard and I can hear Kristie and Jules and the other onlookers cheering us on. But, this is as far as I can go. My fingers were burning, my knees were numb and the killer wedgie is digging in more and more. So right here, not quite half way, I gave up. I was done. So, my spotter slowly brings me down. I felt defeated, but in all reality, I really did not give up. Giving up would have been at the bottom before I started or not trying it at all, so I am pretty happy with my accomplishment of even trying something this, well, insane! I am super proud of Steph because she made it further than I did. I am glad she was there to do this with me! We did not know each other before this trip, but now we have a bond, because of this rock wall.

Rock wall buddies!!!
Have you ever tackled something like this? Did it make you a stronger person? I know this has made me not be as afraid to try new things. Just maybe with my feet on the ground from now on :)

That's all from me tonight. Until next time...
Hugs and Happy Craftin'!!

No comments: