Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Family Tree in a Log

I made this Family Tree in a Log for the July issue of Scrap n' Art online magazine using Walnut Hollow products. When I opened the box from Walnut Hollow, there were two of these log pieces in it. At first, I had no clue what in the world I could make with them, other than clocks that I had seen on their website. About the same time I had been working on my genealogy project a little more in depth and had been wanting to create a 3D family tree. 


Then it hit me....What better way to display a family tree than in a log?!! I had researched  Googled family tree images and found several that I liked certain things about, so I took all those ideas and created this family tree of my kids and grand kids. First, I applied some paints and stain to the wood piece to darken it. Then I stamped and cut out the background paper and drew the tree free hand on decorative paper, cut it out and then added swirls to the branches to mimic leaves. I wrote my kids, their spouses and my grand kids names on the Walnut Hollow heart cut-outs and adhered them to the branches. 


You can see the bark on the log from this view :) Isn't that cool?! I need to figure out a way to hang it in my living room. I have made a lot of canvases and other pieces that I want to create a gallery wall with and as soon as it's done, I will most definitely share it here. 

I have been working on many magazine projects and am starting to create floral decorations for some customers and am also going to be making some Christmas tree toppers in hopes of selling them. There are a few craft fairs coming up that I have signed up for and will also be holding Christmas mesh wreath classes at Chinaberry Dreams Soapworks and Gifts. Busy, busy, but I love this time of year!! Check back soon for more creations!! Until then....
Hugs and Happy Craftin'!!  





No comments: