Sunday, October 6, 2013

I fought the table and the table won....

well, for today it did. I told y'all about this awesome rustic table that I bought last week. Here it is before we got it home.


Yesterday I started cleaning it up and I bought the stuff I need to make my own chalk paint for the base :) We took the top boards off because we have to tighten up the base, it's a little wobbly. Today, I started sanding. And sanding. And sanding. Whew, a lot of sanding! Dan used the belt sander first because the boards have some deep worn ridges in them from being outside for who knows how long. Then I scrubbed the boards with a apple cider vinegar and water solution and let dry. Then sanded with a palm sander that my Mom gave me (thanks Mom!!). So like I said before, I sanded and sanded. And this is as good as it got...


Well, it's not too bad, but it can get better. I'm just worn out from sanding! I didn't realize what a work out you get from using the sander. The smallest board has an odd patina on part of the board, even after all the sanding. Not sure why, but after it dried from the cleaning, this is what it looks like. The board on the far left needs the most work as you can see below.


I still have a lot of work to do on this table, but it will all be worth it! I mentioned before that I bought what I need to make my own chalk paint and I'm so excited about this! And a little nervous. I'll let you know how it turns out :) I am only going to paint the base with the chalk paint. The top I want to keep natural, but not sure if I should do a light stain and then polyurethane or just polyurethane. Then I read somewhere that wax was a good alternative to polyurethane, but I'm not sure which to use. Do you have a preference? Maybe I can do a test on the bottom of a piece to see which one I like best. Then there is the question of using the same rusty nails to put the whole thing back together again. They are part of the reason I love this table, but some of them are so old and worn that they disintegrated when we took it apart. I think I will cross that bridge when I get to it, lol

That's all from me for now. I have to go get ready for the work week to start. Until next time...
Hugs and Happy Craftin'!!

No comments: