Sunday, August 11, 2013

Altered Heart Shaped Candy Box

Most people that receive the heart shaped candy boxes for Valentine's Day eat all the chocolate and then throw out the box. Not me. For some reason, the minute I was getting ready to throw it away, the idea of using it as a display box popped in my head.


So it got put away for a few months. I didn't have any time sensitive projects to work on, so this was a good weekend to finally work on it. Since there is a top and a bottom, this meant twice the fun!

 
I got the pictures of my Mom and Dad when they were kids from my Mom and scanned them, changed them to be sepia tone and printed them on Stampin' Up! cardstock. I used cardstock because I wanted them to look old and it almost gives the appearance that they are printed on linen.

 

Weren't they cute?!! I think my Dad was about 4 years old and my Mom was in first grade.

I decorated both hearts with a wide washi tape along the edge to make it a little sturdier and also ran a bead of hot glue along the inside and outside edge. The washi tape seamed too dark, so I white washed it to distress it some. I used the same green designer paper in the bottom of both hearts.


For the half with my Dad's picture, I added light blue rick rack along the inside edge to cover up the seam and along the outside edge I added a piece of brown elastic crocheted lace trim and some light green beading. His picture is mounted on a piece of striped designer paper and several pieces of chipboard to lift it off the green background paper. I found a kite image, printed it out, inked it and cut it out. I glued the string onto the back of it and tied some blue ribbons to it. I printed his name on a piece of cardstock and free hand cut it out in the form of a banner. I glued buttons around the bottom right side of his picture and marbles in the bottom tip of the heart. I want to add a slingshot to the right side of his picture, but don't have the items to make it yet. For the hanger, I glued a piece of brown ribbon to the back.

 

For the half with my Mom's picture, I added a narrow lace to the inside edge and a wide tea stained lace and pink beading to the outside edge. Her picture is mounted on a pretty floral designer paper that coordinates with what I used on Dad's picture. It is also mounted on layers of chipboard to lift it up from the background paper. I found a paper doll online, cut it out and added the little blue dress holding a baby doll and the black shoes to her. I mounted her on two layers of chipboard to lift it up some. Around the picture, I added buttons, flower and a butterfly. I printed her name and cut it out just like Dad's. For the hanger, I glued a piece of pink ribbon to the back.

Here are some close-up pics:






I am going to hang them in the living room, but put them on this shutter for better lighting to take pics of them :)


Not bad for something that would have normally been thrown away, huh? This is the only creative thing I worked on all weekend, but that's a pretty good accomplishment, I think!!

A little bit of personal news from the last couple of weeks. My Grandson, Grayson (Mariah's baby) was baptized two weeks ago and my daughter, Amber and her husband, Jon were baptized today! I am so proud of them all!!
School is starting in a week and a half, so I am going to enjoy "sleeping late" for the next few days. I will have to get back on the schedule of going to bed a little earlier, so I can get up at 6:30 again.
That's all from me tonight, so until next time...
Hugs and Happy Craftin'!!
 
Linking up here...
 


No comments: