Thursday, July 11, 2013

The Culbreths

This is my first heritage canvas piece and it turned out better than I envisioned!! These are my maternal Grandparents, Thomas Gray and Rosetta Culbreth.


I feel so honored to be named after both of my Grandmothers and my first name is Rosetta, even though I go by a version of my middle name. My grandson Grayson is a version of Gray from my Grandfather Culbreth's middle name :)

I wanted this canvas to represent feminine and masculine without either one being too overpowering and I think I achieved that. The canvas is painted a cream with brown and white brushed on and Modge Podged coffee filters to add the wrinkled texture. I rubbed a Tea Stain Distress ink pad over all the wrinkles, then added the designer paper mounted on blue card stock. The pictures are double mounted on cream and blue card stock. All edges are distressed using the Zutter Distressing Tool (thanks to Kristie for letting me use hers!!! I must get one now)


Behind my Grandmother's picture, I attached a piece of lace and added lots of flowers, ribbon and pearl beads around the bottom left of the canvas.


 Behind my Grandfather's picture, I attached a piece of burlap ribbon and added gears, buttons, a key and a clock. The clock is an image from a piece of designer paper that I cut out and added layers of UTEE and did the cracked glass technique.

Close up of flowers, ribbon and pearls
Close up of clock, gears, buttons and key
I have several other ideas for some heritage pieces including a shadow box to commemorate my Grandmothers. I have also been making bracelets again and will share those soon.
Until next time...
Hugs and Happy Craftin'!!

No comments: