Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Faux Mercury Glass Christmas Ornaments

I am in another Secret Crafter exchange, this time we had to make Christmas ornaments. I have been wanting to try making the faux mercury glass, because they are oh so beautiful! I bought the Looking Glass spray paint a couple of months ago in the hopes of using it on some vases, but decided ornaments would be awesome!! Of course in true Lorrie fashion, they had to be a little different and I had to put my twist on them :)


I started by spraying some gold metallic paint that I had thinned with water inside the ornaments. It didn't stick very well, so I added some Mod Podge to the paint and it worked so much better! When that was dry, I sprayed a few coats of the Looking Glass spray paint into each, letting it dry between coats. After I sprayed the last coat in, while it was still quite wet, I added some Diamond Dust inside each and shook it around inside the ornaments. I shook out the excess and let them completely dry. The tops are glued on so they won't come off and then some pretty trim is glued around the top and a ribbon added for the hanger.


You can see how shiny and reflective they are in this close-up :)


I will definitely make some more of these!!

I'm also working on some Christmas tags for a swap and I will share those with you soon :)
I will be on vacation next week, but I'm staying home instead of traveling, so I'm planning on getting some projects completed. My grandson, Grayson, will be Baptized this Sunday, too. He is 3 months old today and growing so fast!!

That's all from me tonight. Until next time...
Hugs and Happy Craftin'!!

No comments: