Sunday, January 27, 2013

Altered Cigar Box


I made this for a Secret Sister Valentine Swap where we were to decorate/alter a box and fill it with items that our Secret Sister likes. I started off with an old cigar box. You can find these at thrift stores, flea markets and yard sales or you can get new ones at a cigar store. My local cigar store sells them for fairly cheap, some as low as $1.00.


I painted my box with Annie Sloan Old White Chalk Paint. It took 2 coats.


I then Mod Podged a rose patterned paper to the sides and a black and white patterned paper to the top. I added a floral patterned paper on top of the black and white. After all the papers were dried, I dry brushed light pink paint over the papers and then rubbed a Tea Stained Ranger ink pad all over the box to distress it. For the top decoration I adhered a piece of designer paper that had a sweet little bird on it and added twigs, moss and flowers. Then I added a Flower Soft Display Globe with lace and added more flowers and twigs around the outside of the globe.


I added some cute little wooden feet to the bottom of the box that I painted and added a little pearl bead to the bottom of each one.


I also added a little pink bead to the front with some strung pink beads adhered to the top to form a little closure for the box.


And last but not least, I decorated the inside by adding some pink felt, beading and lace.



My Secret Sister liked it! This is her after opening the box.


I also made a card to let her know that I was her Secret Sister. I will share that in my next post.
Until then...
Hugs and Happy Craftin'!!

No comments: