Sunday, October 7, 2012

Distressed Shutters


I told ya'll a while back that I was working on a shutter project and I finally finished it! I live in a mobile home and we have done a lot of changes over the years. But one thing I have always hated is this weird window between the front foyer and the dining area. You can see in the picture above that the window has a "wheat flower" design etched on it. (It is actually a very faint white, but for some reason it shows dark in the pic.) This window screams 1980's decor and is just horible. I have no idea why I never changed it. I want to replace it with something unique, I just haven't figured out what yet. I thought about making a cute little curtain for the window, but not sure what to make it out of. Burlap? Canvas? But in the mean time, I had these "shutters" that was actually a bi-fold door that I cut in half. I removed the hinges and painted them the same cobalt blue that I painted my art house door. Then I sanded in some places and dry brushed Annie Sloan Old White Chalk Paint randomly. I applied dark wax in some places and clear wax all over. I left the backs of them the blue color with a little distressing so that they can be reversable. In the little window sill, I have some old bottles and a little plaque of my Granddaughter's foot print. The red barn star above the window came from Hobby Lobby on clearance. I love red, it is my usual go to color. I think it has something to do with my Coca-Cola collection obsession, lol. Red paired with blue is kind of a no brainer. The walls in my dining/living room are a bright yellow called Jonquil. I painted the rooms this color more than 10 years ago and I am contemplating painting a different color. I am leaning toward a light sage green, but not sure yet.


Here is a close up of one of the shutters. I love the distressing on them. It was hard getting good pictures this afternoon because it's starting to get darker here earlier. I have several other changes I want to make to my dining area, starting with a new dining room table. I am on the hunt for the perfect one! I also want a bench, preferably an old church pew and mismatched chairs. That seems to be really popular right now and I love the look!!
Well, I am done babbling, lol. Hope ya'll have a great Monday and I'll post again soon!
Until then...
Hugs and Happy Craftin'!!

No comments: