Sunday, July 29, 2012

Baby Name Banner



I love making these baby name banners. Maybe it's because babies are just so special and I like to make something personalized and special. I hope that when I give these as gifts, they are thought of as keepsakes. This one is for a woman I work with. She has four boys and is finally going to have a little girl. She is so excited. She gets to finally have pink stuff around! Each letter started with a chipboard coaster that I covered with designer paper from a Recollections paper pack called Retro Collage. The blue banner pieces are from a piece of aqua blue cardstock that I embossed using Cuttlebug D'vine Swirls embossing folder. The letters are from an Alpha punch out pack and they are mounted on a designer paper from the same Recollections paper pack that I die cut using the Spellbinders scallop. All papers are Mod Podged to make them more durable. Above each letter, I glued some pink pom-pom trim from Stampin' Up! There is a pink heart shaped eyelet in each top corner and yellow organza ribbon is strung through each one to create the banner.


This is a close-up of the letter J. It really is that bright pink color in real life. She likes hot pink, so I hope she likes this banner!
Yesterday, I spent the whole day at a monthly crop and I worked on this banner most of the day. I also demonstrated a technique called cracked glass. They video taped it, so as soon as they get it edited and posted, I will link it here. I haven't done that technique in a long time, so it was fun to try it out again. Now I may have to create something using that technique. I am now officially the person that is in charge of the mini classes at our crops, so I am on the lookout for ideas for each month. No pressure or anything, lol. So far, I have the next couple of months covered. We also learned how to make our own glimmer mist. Oh-Em-Gee!!! I am so excited about this!! Glimmer Mist (or any of the mists out there) are quite expensive and I have spent my fair share of money on them. But, now, for very little money, I can have any color I wish. I think the most expensive thing is going to be buying the little spray bottles. The ingredients for your own homemade glimmer mist is water, a little Mod Podge and either Metallic Paint or regular acrylic paint and pearlized paint mixed together. Some of the other tutorials I saw on You Tube say to add Perfect Pearls or Pearlex to add extra glimmery shine, but the ones we made yesterday are pretty shimmery without that! I will make something using the homemade stuff and post it as soon as I can! Here is a link to a You Tube video explaining in detail the recipe and how pretty it turns out!

Well that gonna be it from me today!! Until next time.....
Hugs and Happy Craftin'!!

No comments: