Saturday, June 23, 2012

My Big Fat Craft Table

Hello there! I have been wanting to share this project with you for a long time, but it took me so long to finally get it complete! This is my huge work table that I placed in the middle of the art house. Yes, I am now calling my craft building "the art house" because it's different and you know if you know me, I like different! And besides "Art House" sounds happy :).


It started out as a hollow core door that I bought at Lowe's for $22.00. The wire shelves that it sits on top of came from Walmart, but I have had them for a few years. At first I just painted the table white, but really wanted to do something more creative than just plain white. I have seen a lot of crafty things made with paint chip samples on Pinterest, so I thought that would look really cool on my table. I went to Lowe's and got a bunch of samples (the employees looked at me like I was crazy. yeah, they're right, lol)  I brought them home and started laying them out, but I couldn't get a design layed out that worked. So then I got the bright idea to punch 1 inch squares out of each color and just lay them out in rows, just laying them down in random colors.



I glued each square down with Mod Podge. This project took a whole large bottle of Mod Podge. I started sealing the table with polyurethane but quickly figured out that it would take 20 or more coats to get it thick enough. Then I remembered a product that I used a few years ago called Pour On. It is a resin that hardens and looks like glass. I added the yardsticks to the edges of the door, but since the door is not completely square, I added a bead of caulking all the way around. This will keep the Pour On from leaking through. 


I love this table! It is light weight so I can easily move it and it gives me so much room to lay out large projects or cut fabric on. I know it is going to come in handy when wrapping gifts.
I am trying to get the art house cleaned up and organized so I can take you on a tour. I have been trying to find unique storage and ways to display things and I think you will like some of the things that I have done.

Well, that's all for me tonight. Until next time...
Hugs and Happy Craftin'!!

Linking up to these awesome parties....