Saturday, May 12, 2012

Rooster Plaque for Mom

My Mom loves chickens and roosters. Her house is decorated with all sorts of ceramics, paintings, etc. of chicken and rooster themed things. She especially likes funky chickens and roosters and even has some yard decorations. I don't think a gifting holiday goes by that she doesn't receive something chicken themed. And that goes for Mother's Day, which is tomorrow. So, of course, I had to make something with a rooster on it.



I started with a 10 1/2" x 8" plain wooden plaque purchased at AC Moore. It is painted with Annie Sloan Old White Chalk Paint. The rooster is a computer image that I printed and cut out to use as a template. I painted it with acrylic paints and also used a brown marker to outline the beak, eyes and feet. It was sanded lightly to distress it. I added Annie Sloan Dark Wax to it in places to give it an aged look and then applied Annie Sloan Clear Wax over the whole thing.

I hope she likes it. I tend to worry about that when making things for other people. And of course this started out as a whole other thing in my head, lol. I was originally going to try to use a lot of different scraps of designer papers to make it "funky", but it just didn't work out that way. Maybe I will still try that, but for now, I think this one turned out pretty good.

I wish you all a wonderful Mother's Day tomorrow. I hope you get to spend time with your families, especially your Moms! I feel so blessed to have the most fabulous Mom in the whole wide world!!! I love you Mom!!

Until next time...

Hugs and Happy Craftin'!
~Lorrie

Linking up to these awesome places....




4 comments:

Rose Jesky said...

So cute I love chickens, Your mom will love it. Thanks for coming and sharing this with us at The Sunday Round Up.
Rose

Kayla's Creations said...

I love this! So pretty! Your mom will love it I'm sure! I'm a new follower. I hope you have a great week, thank you for sharing at Sunday Round Up!
-Kayla :)

Heather Kaluf said...

I am a huge fan of chickens and roosters. My kitchen is covered in them!
xoxo
Heather

Heather Kaluf said...

I am a huge fan of chickens and roosters. My kitchen is covered in them!
xoxo
Heather