Thursday, March 22, 2012

Dish Garden and Terrarium

Last week Dakota and I went to Hilton Head for a Special Olympics tennis tournament and when driving around, I found a Nursery/Antique store and had to stop to look around. I didn't really look at the plants because my Dad has a nursery business in our front yard :) I did, however, go inside the antique store where I found a grouping of terrariums, but they were quite expensive. What I did buy was the kits they had for sale. The kit came with rocks, charcoal, soil and moss. I got some little plants from my Dad and I already had the containers.




For the glass container, I added the rocks first, then the charcoal and soil. I placed the plants in the soil and then added the moss around them. I watered everything down using a sprayer. The little bird house is a floral pick that I have had for years.


For the dish garden, I used a terracotta dish that is about 3 inches deep by 15 inches wide. I put rocks in the bottom, then soil, placed the plants and then added the moss. I did not add charcoal to this one because it won't have a cover on it. The charcoal is used to keep down bacteria and odor in the soil for terrariums. The plants that I used are Hens and Chicks, Lambs Ear and a plant that I think is called a finger plant. There is also a kind of fern type plant but I don't know what it is called.



I put both the terrarium and dish garden on the shelf that I have on my craft building porch. I believe that the shelf is really a bird cage, but the doors are missing. I bought it from a friend of mine who was moving and did not have room for it. It has chippy paint and a little rust, but I love it!! I also added a butterfly box that I have had for years and a little bird that I bought at Hobby Lobby for $3.00. On the top is a little bird house but I don't remember when or where I bought it. I put the dish garden on the bottom shelf and it fit perfectly! I am going to eventually have the porch all cleaned up and decorated so I will snap a few pics and share as soon as possible.

By the way, if you are in the Lexington, SC area and want to check out my Dad's nursery, it is called Grey Rock Nursery and it is located on Barr Road. My Dad is a one man show, so his business is not huge, but he puts his heart and soul in it. He is the hardest working man I know and he grows the prettiest flowers and plants!! Come check it out!!

That's all from me today! Until next time...

Hugs and Happy Craftin'!
~Lorrie

No comments: