Monday, January 2, 2012

The only creative thing I've made all year!

Well, considering it's only January 2nd, I think I am ahead of the game, lol. Last year I did nothing creative until well into January. One of my New Year's resolutions is be more creative and spend more time in my studio. I have definitely done that in the last two days. I've been seeing these scrapbook pages being created on canvas and I really wanted to try it out. I am beyond loving this project and am really proud of myself!! Now I am addicted and can't wait to make more!!



The baby is my sweet granddaughter, Elizabeth. She was only 3 days old in this picture and now she is almost 4 months old. My how time flies! The canvas is 20 x 17. There is a lot of stuff on it, lots of layers. In case you don't know already, I LOVE layers!! I started by painting the canvas with Gesso and then added pink, green and blue paint, sort of in a mottled way. In some places, the paint took on a yellow tint from the paints mixing together. It was a little too bright for the look I was going after and my initial thought was to glue tissue paper all over, but I didn't have white tissue paper, so what's a desperate girl to do at 1:00 in the morning? Ahhh, I have these coffee filters laying here for another project that's bouncing around in my head. Although the coffee filters are thicker than tissue paper, I love the texture and depth that it added. I crumpled them up and then pressed them out and glued to the canvas with Mod-Podge, with creases included to give it added texture. Then I just added layers and layer of different papers. I also stitched on the layered mats for the picture and also the strip of paper at the top. I got a sewing machine for Christmas and this is the first project I used it on. I also used my Cricut machine for the first time! Dan AKA The Boyfriend AKA Hey Dan, gave me the Cricut for Christmas LAST year and I have been too chicken to use it. What was I thinking? That thing is AWESOME!!! I will definitely be using it a lot from now on. Here's a couple of close ups of the canvas.

Lots of distressing and lace and ribbon and beads

layered flowers with tulle tucked in between the layers. one with a
button center and one with a zipper flower in the center.

One last picture of the whole thing shall we?

  
Such a sweet baby! (sorry for the glare on the pic. it was a little
hard getting a really good shot without the glare)
Hope ya'll have a fantastic New Year! Until next time....

Hugs and Happy Craftin'!
~Lorrie

Linking to......





1 comment:

Chris said...

Hi Lorrie, this is beautiful. What a wonderful tribute to your darling grandbaby. You did an excellent job. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.com/